7 - Years married
10 - Years living together
16 - Years dating
20 - Years since our first kiss*
22 - Years since I fell in love with him in Mrs. McCabe's biology class.
I think you should get to count all your time together - not just the married years. And I also believe that you should get a baby shower every damn time you give birth. None of this first baby only crap. In fact, anytime something larger than 5 pounds exits your vagina a party is in order.
And while I'm on a roll, Christmas is NOT just for kids. Sure, it's not quite as magical as the time I got the Barbie Dream House with the yellow plastic elevator. But I'll still squeal if somebody gets me some Crate & Barrel dishtowels and I love to watch people open my gifts.
And I'm opposed to the idea that we should "just get something for the house" in lieu of presents for any occasion. It doesn't matter if we're bust-ass broke, rustle me up a Popsicle stick sculpture for Christ's sake.
Husband however, is not known for his romantic abilities. Or I should say, not known for having "typical" romantic abilities. Last week when I handed him his Anniversary card he looked stricken and ran out the door to Walgreens to buy a card and some chocolate. Every year I fight against this, and every year I lose. It's just not in him. But somehow I still think I got the sweet end of the deal because;
- He will wake up at 5am to fix the toilet/shovel the driveway/put oil in the car so the kids and I aren't inconvenienced.
- Just like my dad did, if anyone in the family gets urpy he insists on cleaning it up so we can go back to bed.
- He never yells. Ever.
- He thinks my crazy personality is adorable.
- When we were dating he crawled under my parent's house to sprinkle Diazinon under the floorboards of my bedroom to kill all the spiders.
- He held my hand for 18 straight hours when I was in labor with son. No bathroom breaks and he didn't leave even when the epidural guy told him to go get some dinner.
- He is the most honorable, loyal person I know.
- He is completely his own man and doesn't fret about other's opinions.
- He is the best friend I've ever had.
*It's not fuzzy math - we actually kissed before we dated.