So I watched the Jon and Kate Plus 8 season opener last night. Read a few blog commentaries on the matter. And wanted to throw a few of my own thoughts out there.
- The whole "Kate's a bitch" comments bug me. I think that if a camera followed me around for most of my mothering hours even my own parents would be saying, "OMG! What a hag!" Now add an extra 6 young children to the mix - and watch me shrill like a broken teakettle.
- I think this woman genuinely has some anxiety and OCD issues. And society at large holds moms to such high standards - they don't often get cut much slack for any psychological or behavior stumbles. Their own or their children's. I know I've overheard comments about myself like, "Yeah. I know she has ADHD. But seriously - she should really know how important it is to sign the field trip forms on time." Gah!
- The criticism over Kate having help. Seriously? I have a hard time not ninja kicking moms that talk about how their mothers/sisters/etc. came and lived with them after the birth of their child. I just get that jealous. For the most part if my husband and I need a break we have to pay someone to do it. And whenever I do get a nice babysitter break I feel like such a better, happier person afterwards. I have a hard time slagging on a mom for getting help - especially with a brood that big.
- What's with the before/after pictures of Kate in the tabloids? With "before" being her pregnant with SIX CHILDREN. Yea. She looked like shit man. Let herself go entirely for sure. The hell? Who looks good in the last stages of pregnancy? With multiples no less!
- Yes the haircut is God awful. I keep wanting to like it when I see it at certain angles. Because I've seen similar cuts done very cutely. But Kate's hair looks like some sort of collage of 80's hairdos.
- Jon's a pussy. There I said it. Yeah - I think Kate is way out of line in how she speaks to him and berates him. But my God man, grow a pair! Call her on it, make it into a joke - do what you got to do. But the whole victim thing is not attractive. He's pretty much primed for an affair with a younger, adoring and fully non-threatening female. Which he'll dump once she grows up and begins to question "nag" him.
- Poor dude is so disassociated from everything that the kids are bouncing off of him and he doesn't seem to notice. Just looks sort of dazed. Or drunk. Not a happy guy and it's sad he seems to be missing out because of it.
- From what I could see the guy really did rally to do his best with the kids from the start. I admire him for that - it was not an easy foray into fatherhood.
- Jon's new spikey gel hair looks like it came from the pages of douchebag website. I understand this inclination though - I do. It's similar to an issue we larger girls have. We lose weight and get psyched that we can fit into the next size down. So we wear something that in our heart of hearts we have always had a secret desire to fit into. Something inappropriate and out of date like a tube top. But back in 1993 we pictured ourselves in it - vowed to own it if we ever lost the weight. And by God we are going to wear it now! Jon's hair is his very own tube top.